The Legacy Fund (LF) of the Canadian Association on Gerontology was established in 2003 with proceeds from the 17th World Congress of the IAGG, held in Vancouver, 2001. One of the Fund programs is a travel fund to assist excellent full-time graduate students and postdoctoral fellows to attend the quadrennial IAGG Congress.
This is a call for applications for travel to the IAGG Conference in San Francisco, USA in July 2017. Awards are valued at $2,000 Canadian funds.
1. The applicant must be enrolled full-time in a research-based Masters or doctoral degree or be a postdoctoral fellow at the time of application.
2. The applicant must be a current member of the Canadian Association on Gerontology; membership information is available at http://cagacg.ca/membership
3. The applicant must be registered full-time at a university in Canada.
4. There are no restrictions on departments in which the applicant is studying or working as long as the thesis topic/research area is focused on aging or the aged.
5. The applicant must demonstrate academic excellence by submitting an applicant resume of academic background, publications, presentations and awards; and a letter from his/her academic supervisor or employer/supervisor (postdoctoral fellows).
6. The applicant must have an abstract accepted for presentation at IAGG2017. Applicants will be required to upload (PDF format) confirmation from the 2017 IAGG conference organizers that the abstract is accepted for presentation at the IAGG conference.
7. The applicant must be the first or senior author of a paper or poster as identified on the IAGG confirmation. Applicants will be required to upload a copy of the abstract submission confirmation (PDF format), demonstrating order of authorship of the accepted submission.
8. The successful applicant must register for and participate in the IAGG conference to which they are applying.
9. Preference will be given to those who did not receive an IAGG2013 travel award.
10. Funding will not be awarded to those receiving IAGG travel support from other agencies.
Dates and Adjudication Process
- Applications will be accepted only through the online application form (see details below).
- All applications submitted on or before February 1, 2017 at 11:59pm (Eastern Time) will be considered. No late applications will be considered under any circumstances.
- A maximum of 20% of awards will be allocated to Post-Doctoral Fellows.
- Successful applicants will be notified by e-mail by April 3, 2017. All applications are adjudicated by the CAG/ACG Legacy Fund Committee.
- Travel grant award monies will be made available to successful applicants upon their arrival at the conference by way of a cheque payable in Canadian funds.
Application must be submitted online on or before February 1, 2017 at 11:59PM Eastern Time.
Before beginning your application, please note that you will require the following items prepared for upload during the application process:
- PDF version of your IAGG2017 abstract submission confirmation, demonstrating that you are the first or senior author of a paper or poster
- PDF version of your IAGG2017 abstract acceptance notification
It is highly recommended you prepare these items before beginning the online application process. You will not be able to return to your application form to upload these files later.
Part IV requires you to arrange for a letter of support from your academic supervisor (Masters and doctoral applicants) or your employer/supervisor (postdoctoral applicants). The letter should address:
- How well the student/fellow is doing in her/his research,
- How the student ranks compared to others at the same stage,
- The importance of the thesis/dissertation topic or postdoctoral studies, and
- The potential of the student/fellow to contribute to scholarly research that advances knowledge and understanding about aging.
- When a supervisor writes letters for two or more applicants, each letter must indicate a ranking of that applicant, relative to the others, with rationale.
Your referee should submit his/her letter electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Letters should be on official institutional letterhead and signed by your referee. Letters of support are due by February 1, 2017 at 11:59PM Eastern Time.